The North Hollywood Northeast Neighborhood Council has taken seriously the charge to give our community a voice in City Hall by weighing in on matters of importance to our stakeholders. We have carefully considered issues at our meetings, heard from stakeholders and submitted over 17 Community Impact Statements and letters on the following issues:
- Return to in person instruction
- City Budget & Budget Reallocation
- AB 1400, Guaranteed Healthcare for All
- Weddington Golf & Tennis Historical Cultural Monument
- Youth development, disadvantaged youth, student debt
- LAFD discrimination practices
We currently have a vibrant committee structure where the real work is done. Committees recommend projects and positions to the whole board. Our committees include:
- Cultural Affairs
- Outreach & Beautification
- Planning and Land Use (PLUM)
- Sustainability and Organic Urban Permaculture (SOUP)
- Youth & Minority Empowerment
In addition to making our voices heard, we funded Neighborhood Purpose Grants to many organizations, including the YMCA Youth Leadership Program for $2,000 and to Little Light International for youth empowerment for $5,000. At the beginning of the year, we were fortunate to be able to celebrate the re-installation of the Lars Hawkes Sculpture commemorating the 1984 Olympics on the 170 at Sherman Way. This was the culmination of our funding collaboration with Councilmember Krekorian.
In 2022 we are looking forward to seeing you at more in person events like the Halloween celebration we co-hosted with NoHo West Neighborhood Council at Valley Plaza Park and the LAPD’s Winter Wonderland at the Whitsett Fields.
Our Neighborhood Council is not only excited to represent you in the community and at City Hall, but we are also eager to continue collaborating with our stakeholders and invite you to come along for the ride. We have lots of opportunities for you to get involved:
- Take a seat on the Board: Community Based Organization, Business Member, Resident Member, and Alternate Youth Member
- Join a committee (https://www.nhnenc.org/committees/)
- Attend a meeting on the 2nd Wednesday of the month.
“I am passionate about public policy, activism, and public service. I have found great community in our Neighborhood Council and I hope you will join me in advocating for better resources for our students, neighbors and friends” says Zaid Diaz-Arias, Board Secretary, “With the commencement of the new year, our board members are dedicated to improving our neighborhood, by taking lead on community projects, partnering with other NC’s, granting funding to schools and nonprofits, and building bridges across our government departments, and across communities. If there is one goal we aim to achieve by the end of 2022 it is to build cultural competence, commemorate our neighbors, and improve the livelihood our North Hollywood.” Contact me to find out more: email@example.com