At the July 2022 North Hollywood North East Neighborhood Council Meeting we heard a presentation from Hope of the Valley requesting funding for a program to support day laborers through a community garden. Click on the image below to see the presentation:
The original Day Labor Resource Center opened 1988 in North Hollywood.
History of the project:
- We provide community service to residents, merchants, and others to feel comfortable and safe with the practice of seeking
work in public.
- A fixed hiring center where persons participating in the casual labor force can safely congregate to solicit employment from
residents and businesses seeking day labor.
- There are no fees to employers or day laborers to utilize the services at any site.
Main purpose of the garden is to re-open our doors for our Day Laborers.
- Developing and strengthening community and social ties through positive social
contact between day laborers and the day labor program.
- Reducing family food costs.
- Promoting healthier food options.
- Increase physical activity through garden maintenance.
- Reduce crime rate in surrounding areas.
NHNENC approved a Neighborhood Purposes Grant to support this project with $2,500.